Are you planning to move in the next few years? Even if moving is not in the near future, here’s a list of great questions to ask a mover—regardless of whether you hire a local mover that will move you across town, or you are planning to move to another city or state.
Oh, and if you have any friends who are planning to move, please pass these questions on to them!
- Is there a charge for packing?
- Do I have to supply my own boxes?
- What is the charge if the mover supplies the boxes?
- Can I get a discount if I pack items myself?
- If something is damaged, what is the deductible?
- What process do I have to go through to file a claim?
- What does my homeowners/renters insurance cover?
- What’s the cost to buy additional insurance?
- Are there any items NOT covered by insurance?
- If shipping a car, lawn tractor, large mechanical equipment, how will it be shipped?
- What are the extra charges for large items?
- What large items cannot be moved by the moving company?
- Do I have to hire someone else to move large items?
- Is there extra insurance needed for large items?
Timing of the Move
- How long will it take to load the moving truck?
- How many hours/days will it take to unpack?
- When will the items arrive at my new house?
- Is there a charge if truck is delayed by weather or road closures?
- What are the payment terms?
- Do you require a down payment?
- When is the balance of the fees due?
- What are the extra fees that you could charge me with?
- Do you accept checks? Wire transfers? Credit cards?
Are there anything other issues you’ve experienced so I can add to this list?