Are you doing everything you can to ensure that your clients’ information is safe and secure from hackers? The National Association of Realtors® has provided some tips on what you need to do to protect your clients’ data, and I’d like to share a couple of them with you.
- Check with your legal department or state association regarding “client security laws”
- Attend security training on how to best handle, store, retain and destroy data
- Limit access to sensitive data to only a few people
- Block access of employees who have left the company
- Don’t share user names and passwords
- Use “strong” user names and passwords
- Update passwords every few months
- Encrypt sensitive information (including emails, contracts and files)
- Lock file cabinets, and don’t leave files on your desk
- Log off your computer when done for the day
- Regularly run virus and anti-spyware programs
- Use a firewall to prevent hackers and protect against viruses
- Notify your broker if your computer, laptop or mobile device has been hacked
While NAR provided many other tips, I wanted to share with you some that you can implement right now!
What other things have you done to protect your clients’ information from hackers so I can also add them to this list?