I read a blog the other day. Really, I did! It is about “words/sentences” that can make a difference in your relationships with your peers, real estate agents, colleagues, family and friends — BUT ONLY IF YOU MEAN IT!
Here are the 10 things to say to people that could make a huge difference in getting them to cooperate, to work with you, and to respect you!
- Here’s what I was thinking – Give others reasons why you think the way you do. Justify with logic and not from a position of “power.”
- I was wrong – Admit it – you won’t lose respect, you’ll gain it.
- That was awesome – Praise is a gift that costs nothing, but is priceless to the person receiving it.
- You are welcome – When something thanks you,” simply answer “you are welcome.”
- Can you help me? – This shows your vulnerability, respect for others’ opinions and willingness to listen.
- I’m sorry – Never follow an apology with a “disclaimer.” Say you are sorry and take the blame and leave it as that.
- Can you show me? – Don’t just ask for input. Ask to be taught or shown how to do something.
- Let me give you a hand – Don’t say, “Is there anything I can help you with?” Instead, offer to help in a way that feels collaborative, not patronizing.
- I love you – Every time you say it—say it like you mean it!
- Don’t say anything – I know, it’s hard sometimes , but sometimes it’s best to say nothing at all—especially if you are angry or upset. Be quiet until you know exactly what you are going to say.