I recently read a blog written by a top real estate agent. He has had several deals fall through because the home inspection report came back with comments like “not tested” or “not inspected—unable to access.”
When preparing sellers for a home inspection, he now provides them with a checklist to help ensure that everything gets inspected and the report is as complete as possible.
So, I’d like to share with you 25 tips on preparing your sellers for a home inspection.
- Turn on all utilities (gas, water, electric)
- Light all pilot lights (including gas fireplaces)
- If home uses propane or fuel oil, make sure there is sufficient fuel in tanks
- Turn off alarm systems (unless advised otherwise)
- Back up your computer, as the inspector may be testing the electric by turning it off and on
- Move furniture away from heat and return vents
- Clean out wood-burning fireplace
- Provide access to electrical panels and breaker boxes
- Provide access to ALL GFI electrical outlets
- Clear area around water heater
- Remove your pets during the inspection
- Provide access to the attic, crawl space or basement
- If you are not present at time of inspection, provide the inspector with your phone number in case he has questions
- Remove cars from the garage
- Trim bushes away from water faucets, dryer vents, air conditioning unit
- Replace filters—furnace, AC and range hood
- Remove items from the tub, shower, top of toilet tank
- Remove items from bathroom sink cabinet so inspector can check water cut-off valves
- Remove dishes from kitchen sink
- Remove items from kitchen skin cabinet
- Remove dishes from dishwasher and pots/pans from stove top
- Remove clothing from washer/dryer if these appliances are included in the sale
- Replace burned out light bulbs
- Install new batteries in smoke detectors
- If home has been upgraded or an addition added, provide receipts and building permits if applicable
One more thing, remember to provide the home inspector with a copy of the sellers’ disclosure form!
So, what else would you add to this list?