Have you had a bad (or oh-so) experience in working with a real estate agent in the past?
Have you ever recommended a real estate agent that you have worked with to family or friends?
The National Association of Realtors Survey of Home Buyers and Sellers in 2016 says that while 73% were “satisfied” with the real estate agent they worked with, almost 50% did NOT recommend them.
Working with a real estate agent is a two-way street. They are expected to provide certain services when you are buying or selling. But what about your responsibilities? What should you do to make sure that your experience is an awesome one for you too?
- Stay loyal: If they are going their job. Communicating with you on a regular basis. Doing what they say they are going to do. When you go to an open house or talk with another Realtor, let them know that you are already working with another agent.
- How do you want them to work with YOU? Not only should they communicate with you, you need to let them know how you like to be communicated with. Phone. Email. Text. When you are available to look at new listings. Or if you are a seller, when you are available to show your home.
- Understanding your needs: Let the agent know what type of home you are looking for. The location. Your family needs such as schools. Shopping. Distance to work. The more they know about your lifestyle, the better equipped they are to help you find the right home.
- Ask questions: Even though an agent may have been in business for a long time, it does not mean that the agent is the right one for you. After you have shared your “needs” with them (see #3), ask what makes them qualified to work with you — either when buying or selling your home.
- Establish a level of trust: This is a huge financial decision. And just like any relationship to work, there has to be a level of trust between both parties. That you trust the agent’s advice and recommendations. And they trust that you will be loyal and honest with them, too.
If you are thinking of buying or selling a home, please contact me so I can recommend to you a couple of great real estate agents.