- Open the tank. Reach in and push down the flapper. If the water stops running, that means that the flapper needs to be replaced.
- Shut off the water supply. Flush and drain the water in the tank.
- Remove the flapper.
- Take the old one to the hardware store to make sure you buy the right one.
- Follow the installation instructions.
- Adjust the chain so that the flapper lies flat, with just a little slack.
Note: If the water doesn’t stop running when you push down the flapper, it may mean that the water level in the tank is too high. The water level should be about ½ inch BELOW the plastic drain pipe.
If the running does not stop and all else fails – call a plumber.